Our Organic Farm's Pesticide and Herbicide Use Disclosure - A Social Responsibility
As a matter of policy, Valhalla Spa serves the animals and land we steward, Mother Earth, as a living and breathing symbiotic organism according to the original Hippocratic Oath. Most of the ingredients and amounts we use for pest and weed control have been eaten or used safely by mankind for approximately 6 million years. By this virtue, coupled with our “keep it simple” sustainable and organic based farming practices, we meet and exceed the recommended Agricultural Best Management Practices (BMPs) set forth by Florida’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
These BMPs are measures that producers can pledge to take to reduce the amount of fertilizers, pesticides, animal waste, and other pollutants entering our water resources. Show your support for the natural Florida - know and approve what farm your food came from before you let it onto your table.
This is a list of all natural (non-synthetic) high quality materials we use on and around animals and crops. We make and use the products the same day and no preservatives, solvents, sticking agents, or stabilizers are added other than explicitly listed. Most of the ingredients we use are not even considered pesticides.
- Well Water – Dilutant mix
- Pyrethrin Daisys (PyGanic Livestock and Poultry Insecticide) - spray
- Dried Tobacco Leaf Tea - Spray
- Dried Cinnamon* Sticks – Ground mulch
- Peppermint Essential Oil* - Spray
- Thyme Essential Oil (Plant Guru)* – Bee hive
- Lemongrass Essential Oil* - Spray
- Cedar Wood Essential Oil* - Spray
- Clove Essential Oil (First Botany)* - Spray
- Pure Orange Oil Concentrate (w/modified food starch)- Spray, soil drench, cleaner
- Neem Oil (Oleavine Health)- Spray, soil drench
- Olive Oil - Bee hive bait traps
- Pure Castile Soap (Dr. Bronner's) - Spray, cleaner
- Mineral Salt (Sherpa Pink Himalayan Salt)* – Herbicide ground spray
- 30% Acetic Acid Vinegar (Eco Clean) –Herbicide ground spray
- Wood Ashes – Herbicide ground spray
- Diatomaceous Earth (Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade)- Dust
- Boric Acid (Southern Ag)– Bait container
- Sodium Bicarbinate (Bob's Red Mill Organic Baking Soda) – Bait container
- Powdered Sugar or Jelly – Bait container
- Mouse traps (Kness Snap Trap)- house and barn
This is a list of products that are certified for organic use but contain synthetic ingredients as a carrier. We use these sparingly around the farm (not on food or animals) when preventative measures are not adequate. Sometimes we determine that it is a greater burden on the environment to use natural or unrefined ingredients because of the amounts required or how/where they are produced and although not our preferred sustainable practice, still safe and deemed "organic" to use by the USDA because their chemistry is based on natural ingredients and the inert ingredients are considered "minimal concern".
- Southern Ag Conserve Naturalyte - Spinosad natural bacteria metabolites w/propylene glycol in inert carrier base sprayed on bee yard ground only
Can you believe that the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) only requires manufacturers to list the active ingredients on the label? They allow the inert ingredients to be a trade secret, leaving the consumer and the applicator unaware of the possible danger they are exposed to. Many inert ingredients are considered to be hazardous pollutants, extremely dangerous, suspected carcinogens, and occupational hazards. That is why we mix our own and do extensive research/fact checking!
* The ingredients on the list below are classified and recognized as minimum risk pesticides that are deemed safe enough to use by the Environmental Protection Agency without having to bear regulatory oversight for use as a pesticide per 40 Code of Federal Regulations Part 152.25(f)(1):
- Castor oil, Cedar oil, Cinnamon and cinnamon oil, Citric acid, Citronella and citronella oil, Cloves and clove oil, Corn gluten meal, Corn oil, Cottonseed oil, Dried blood, Eugenol Garlic and garlic oil, Geraniol, Geranium oil, Lauryl sulfate, Lemongrass oil, Linseed oil, Malic acid, Mint and mint oil, Peppermint and peppermint oil, 2-Phenethyl propionate (2-phenylethyl propionate), Potassium sorbate, Putrescent whole egg solids, Rosemary and rosemary oil, Sesame (Includes ground sesame plant) and sesame oil, Sodium chloride (common salt), Sodium lauryl sulfate, Soybean oil, Thyme and thyme oil, White pepper, Zinc metal strips (consisting solely of zinc metal and impurities)