It's time to start thinking about preparing for next year's garden! We kill two birds with one stone in the Garden of Medicine by using Down to Earth's brand of Neem Seed Meal for pest control and fertilizer (6-2-1). I am so happy with the health and production yields from the 2016 crops of corn, watermelon, cucumber, okra, onions, peppers, sugar cane, and tobacco that I endorse it for Seth's Seal of Safety.
How do I use it?
I place about 1/8 - 1/4 cup (hand full) mixed in with compost in the transplant hole when I out-plant the seedlings in the spring. Then I put mulch ground cover down for moisture control and sprinkle a little on top of the raised rows to make sure I expose the crawling, non-sucking insects like ants to the meal.
Why do I use it?
The high Azadirachtin content of neem seed meal helps protect the garden against parasitic nematodes, fungus, sucking insects, and ants. Down to Earth's brand of this organic "green manure" (vegan) is approved for use in certified organic production (OMRI listed) so try it in your garden too.
- Does not cause cancer, actually slows tumor growth
- Non-toxic to my bees and other pollinators, birds, mammals, or plants
- It is sustainable, vegan, and non-GMO
- Used for millennium in toothpaste, cosmetics, soaps, and traditional medicines
- Acts as both a contact and systemic pest control
- Enhances other fertilizers when used together by preventing nitrification (nitrogen robbing of the fertilizer as it is broken down metabolically before it can release its own nitrogen supply)
How does it work for pest control?
It reduces insect feeding and acts as a repellent. It also interferes with insect hormone systems, making it harder for insects to grow and lay eggs. Azadirachtin can also repel and reduce the feeding of nematodes. Other components of neem oil kill insects by hindering their ability to feed. - National Pesticide Information Center Factsheet 2012
Why should you use it?
- Excellent way to strengthen root systems, improve plant immunity and balance nutrient levels in the soil
- Can be mixed into soil or potting mediums, used as a top dress or steeped to make a potent foliar tea
- Produced during the extraction of oil from the seed of the Indian Neem tree
- Carefully blended from organic nutrients in the ideal proportions without the use of synthetics, growth stimulants or low quality fillers
- Highest quality ingredients help provide an effective and environmentally friendly approach to plant care, crop fertilization and soil management
Typical content of neem seed meal
- Azadirachtin 1000ppm (0.1%)
- Nimbin 850 ppm (0.085%)
- Salanin 1500 ppm (0.15%)
- Nitrogen 6.0%
- Phosphorus 2.0%
- Potassium 1.0%
- Sulphur 1.2%
- Calcium 0.77%
- Magnesium 0.75%
Directions for Use
Vegetables/ Flowers: Apply 3-6 lbs per 100 square feet and thoroughly mix into soil. To feed established plants, side dress 2-4 oz, depending on plant size.
Containers: Add 1-2 Tbsp per gallon of soil and mix thoroughly or mix 1/2 to 1 lb per cubic yard.